1. Here are some men putting up fencing by a bridge at Warwick University’s campus.
2. It’s quite a big fence, as you can see.
3. They’ve had to put it up because of this swan, which is 4ft tall and could easily take you in a fight.
They break arms, you know.
4. There have been reports it’s a racist.
One 24-year-old student from India is quoted as saying: “These swans are very annoying, and the students feel as though they’re being bullied. I’m from India, and they attack me especially, they focus straight on me.” Another describes it as “a true right winger for sure.”
5. Damn. A furious feathered Alf Garnett.
6. But let’s be honest. It’s not a racist.
A Warwick University spokesman says: “The story arose after a student was contacted about something they had posted on social media that they intended to be humorous. The student is greatly saddened to see how a flippant remark they then made was reported. The student says that they now both regret and withdraw that remark.”
And for your information Geoff Grewcock, the manager of nearby Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, says the aggressive behaviour isn’t uncommon: “Because it’s breeding season, it would be normal for swans to behave that way – particularly if they’re in a pair, as in this case. The females will be laying eggs or nesting, and this is a territorial thing – there’s nothing you can do to appear less threatening, it’s best to keep well away.”
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- FIFA has suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days. ›
- Congressional Democrats are urging the TSA to change its screening procedures for transgender passengers. ›