1. Here are some men putting up fencing by a bridge at Warwick University’s campus.
2. It’s quite a big fence, as you can see.
3. They’ve had to put it up because of this swan, which is 4ft tall and could easily take you in a fight.
They break arms, you know.
4. There have been reports it’s a racist.
One 24-year-old student from India is quoted as saying: “These swans are very annoying, and the students feel as though they’re being bullied. I’m from India, and they attack me especially, they focus straight on me.” Another describes it as “a true right winger for sure.”
5. Damn. A furious feathered Alf Garnett.
6. But let’s be honest. It’s not a racist.
A Warwick University spokesman says: “The story arose after a student was contacted about something they had posted on social media that they intended to be humorous. The student is greatly saddened to see how a flippant remark they then made was reported. The student says that they now both regret and withdraw that remark.”
And for your information Geoff Grewcock, the manager of nearby Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, says the aggressive behaviour isn’t uncommon: “Because it’s breeding season, it would be normal for swans to behave that way – particularly if they’re in a pair, as in this case. The females will be laying eggs or nesting, and this is a territorial thing – there’s nothing you can do to appear less threatening, it’s best to keep well away.”
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️