1. HI THERE, Meatball!
Meatball was handed in to Maricopa County Animal Care and Control in Phoenix, Arizona, earlier this week.
2. Melissa Gable, from the rescue centre, told Barcroft Media: “I’ve never seen a cat this size before. We’ve been told he’s only been fed cat food, but he doesn’t seem interested in that at all.”
3. Meatball is massive, but he’s not actually the world’s heaviest cat. That honour goes to Garfield.
4. Staff at the centre have now put Meatball on a strict diet so that he can regain his mobility.
“He can walk fine, but after a few paces he just lies down,” Gable said. “He is very sweet-natured, though, and when people come in to see him he will roll over on to his back and let them rub his belly.”
5. She added: “His previous owners called him Meatball, but some people have said he should be renamed Meatloaf. His coat is in good condition, he purrs likes crazy and grooms himself – so other than his massive size, he appears to be in good shape.”
6. What a cat.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›