1. This is Chris Kooluris, 37, who used to have a normal bedroom.
He had a successful PR career, a loving partner and a Manhattan apartment. He had moved in his with fiancée to her place in Brooklyn and put his own apartment on the market. But as the New York Daily News reported, “Three things happened that would change Kooluris’ life forever: The apartment didn’t sell, he began feeling claustrophobic living in his girlfriend’s apartment with all her stuff, and he happened upon a sci-fi novel called Ready Player One about 1980s video game culture.”
Chris told the paper: “The book just blew me away. It awakened something in me and I started thinking that I can’t believe I’m not surrounded by all these things that I grew up loving.”
2. So he set about giving the place a pretty extreme makeover.
In fact, he spent $32,000 (£20,000) transforming his bedroom into a 1980s arcade.
3. His partner was supportive at first, even helping him design the room’s tiled floor.
But as Chris admits, the project began to take over his life.
4. And this is where things get weird.
His fiancée began to get fed up with his obsession. First, she refused to attend the room’s launch party – then she returned his engagement ring, and left him.
He would later tell Wired: “There’s a fine line between a hobby and an obsession, and I think what happened is I just got so consumed by it all. There probably should be therapists for hobbyists. It can take over.”
5. Chris finally had his dream arcade — but at a terrible price.
He returned home, which wasn’t ideal, as he’d actually sold his bed. As says: “This is not where I wanted to end up, just living in an arcade.”
6. He now sleeps on a futon with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bedding, and hosts weekly game nights with friends.
He told the New York Daily News: “Now that my fiancée and I are no longer together, it’s hard to enjoy the room as much as I want to. I always end up thinking about her.”