1. This document dates from 1817. It grants freedom to a 25-year-old slave named Moses.
2. The document pre-dates Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation by more than 30 years.
The slave’s owner, Oswald Ricks of Virginia, gives as a reason that he should “do unto others as I would be done by.” The auction will take place in Gloucestershire and will be run by auctioneers Dominic Winter in Cirencester.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›