1. He’s a cobbler.
He said: “Let me just tell you this. When Daniel Day-Lewis was spending all his time playing Lincoln, I was just fixing shoes. He’s spending all the time focused on the hat, and the pipe, and getting into character, and I remained focused - with the overalls and the hammer.”
2. He once “kicked Leonardo DiCaprio’s ass” at basketball.
And he’s apparently “sneaky fast” when he plays.
3. He says playing Sparky the Gay Dog in South Park “completed my career”.
4. He answered the inevitable Batman question with tact and diplomacy.
5. Even so, he wasn’t thrilled with the batsuit nipples.
6. He thought this moment at the Golden Globes was funny and is working on getting the hosts back.
7. When asked to pick actors he enjoyed working with, he named this guy:
9. Every year he and his buddy Randy go off on motorbikes to see more of the world.
10. He said President Assad of Syria has accused him of spying on him.
11. This is because of the Satellite Sentinel Project, which he founded.
It uses satellite technology to provide an early warning system to deter mass atrocities.
If you’d like to support it, he’s offering the chance to be his guest at the premiere of the Monuments Men.
Basically we fund ourselves and we are able to track the true movements and see a lot of the atrocities in real time. We will have images up in a few days, in the hope to try to slow down or make it prohibitive. We’ll give them to the Hague and the images will be used against them. We’ve already given tons of actual atrocities, true movements, bombs being dropped on villages but they would claim it was tribal infighting when of course no tribe has these weapons.
12. He also thinks the UN should have its own army.
13. He explained how his roommate took his infamous cat litter box prank.
14. He talked about this interview.
“I was on in 1985 which is pretty odd, and they youtubed it and I come out in this horrible yellow shirt and yellow socks and a mullet. And the whole set is howling. This stuff lives on forever. So everyone has awkward phases, just hope they’re not recorded for everyone to see for the rest of time.”
15. He had some sort of lovely things to say on Gravity co-star Sandra Bullock.
“It’s tricky cause Sandy drinks so much that oftentimes it’s just hard to keep her upright. No, you know, Sandy and I have known each other for over 20 years and we both were struggling actors when we first met. She was dating a friend of mine at the time who’s still a good friend of ours. Every time we’re together it’s funny. She’s somebody I adore, really, she’s just fun to be in a room with. I’m sure people will assume people aren’t quite who they appear to be on screen—they’re shorter or taller or meaner or dumber—but Sandy is exactly what she appears on screen, an incredibly charming woman who’s really just fun to hang out with. Very smart and centered, even though she does drink a lot.”
16. He gave some interesting insight into the making of O Brother Where Art Thou:
I remember the Coen brothers assumed I could sing, I kind of assumed I could too. I went into the studio with T Bone Burnett and the Coen brothers and sang my version of Man of Constant Sorrow and they were all looking down at the ground and kind of shaking their heads and they play it back and it’s just terrible, and I think great, they’re going to have to tell me they’re going to have to bring in another guy to sing. We were in Mississippi in the summer, even though it was all golden brown. It was the first time they really tried to digitally change the color of a film like that. It was really fun. The first day, I’m shooting a scene with John Goodman where he hits me in the head with a stick, and I was playing it like an idiot because these are the stupidest guys in America and Joel and Ethan walked over and said ‘Listen, you’re the smartest guy in the room in every single scene,’ and I said ‘Oh, okay’ and once I knew he was the smartest guy in the room the character really made sense.
17. His perfect sandwich is a deli sandwich.
“The perfect sandwich would be… I want to come up with two gorgeous actresses but I won’t do that.”