1. Turn wine corks into point protectors for knitting needles.
A) Your knitting won’t slide off. B) You have to drink two entire bottles of wine first. C) Cool.
2. Knit in a dimly-lit room or in a car at night with light-up needles.
Also you’ll feel like a Jedi, which is always a plus. Clover sells them for around $15-$16 per pair.
4. Yarn bowls are lovely and keep your yarn from getting tangled/roaming across the land, but they can be wicked expensive.
Make your own using a binder clip.
8. Prevent tangled ribbon or twine (and make it look pretty) with a paper towel dispenser.
I found mine for like $2.50 at a dollar store (although it was not, clearly, just a dollar).
9. Want to try printing but don’t have stamps or linoleum? Check your lunch.
12. Forks are also great for making tiny pom-poms.
Who needs a pom-pom maker when you have UTENSILS? It’s unbelievably addicting and a great way to use up the last bits of yarn from a project.
14. Make the biggest pom-pom you’ve ever imagined with an entire skein of yarn.
This might not count as “inexpensive” since it’s very easy to spend your entire life savings on yarn, but sometimes you just need a monstrously large pom-pom.
Why would you *need* a giant pom-pom, you ask?
Just look how pumped she is.
17. Use a dollar store pool noodle instead of buying a wreath form.
18. Relax curled circular knitting needle cords with warm water.
Webs’ blog is full of useful tips. (Webs, an enormous yarn store in Northampton, MA, complete with a warehouse stocked with sale items, is quite possibly my favorite place on the planet/a black hole for all of my money).
19. Make crochet hooks more comfortable to use with pencil grips.
20. Bend the bottom of a crochet hook so you can keep it on your keychain.
For emergency on-the-go crafting. Directions here.
22. Store sequins, beads and other small things in an ice tray.
23. Sharpen dull scissors by cutting tin foil or sandpaper.
No need to replace them or buy a bulky, expensive whetstone.
26. Or with a toilet paper roll.
It would be SO AWESOME if everyone in the world were given a swift and ball-winder at birth, but until that time, we’ll have to make do. Find out how here.
Do you have a secret-weapon tip or a trick that you love to use when making stuff? Tell the world in the comments!
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- Leaders of the U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, have voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️