1. Nathan Wetherington was originally cast to play Dean, instead of Jared Padalecki.
2. And Alex Borstein was originally cast to play Sookie, instead of Melissa McCarthy.
3. But Borstein guest starred many times and is married to Jackson Douglas, who played Jackson Belleville (Sookie’s eventual husband) on the show.
4. The entire town of Stars Hollow is the Warner Bros Studios backlot set called “Midwest Street” built in 1946 for the film Saratoga Trunk.
5. Due to the fast-paced speech in the show, the average script for an episode runs 75–80 pages, as opposed to 45–50 for a standard hour-long television show.
6. Lane’s father lives with Lane and her mother, but never appears in the show.
Perhaps he’s hiding under the floor boards with Lane’s forbidden rock n’ roll CDs.
7. Sean Gunn, who plays Kirk, made his first appearance in episode 1.2 (“The Lorelais’ First Day at Chilton”), but not as Kirk.
His character was named “Mick” and he was installing a DSL server at the Lorelai’s home.
8. The exterior shot of The Dragonfly Inn is actually the home of TV’s The Waltons.
9. Liza Weil originally tested for the role of Rory and did not get the part, but the producers liked her so much that they wrote her the role of Paris Gellar.
10. The character of Lane Kim is based on Helen Pai, a co-producer of the show and the best friend of creator Amy Sherman.
11. Luke’s character was originally written to be played by a woman, but the producers figured that “there wasn’t enough testosterone” in the series. That resulted in Scott Gordon-Patterson turning the character around.
12. Luke wasn’t signed on to be a series regular; he was only supposed to appear in the pilot, but after the discovery of the undeniable chemistry between him and Lauren Graham, he was contracted for more episodes.
13. Alexis Bledel cannot stand coffee, but Rory her character loves it. When shooting, her coffee cup was filled with Coke.
14. Jess (Milo Ventimiglia) was supposed to have his own spin-off show called Windward Circle. But due to the high cost of filming on location in Venice, California, the WB changed their minds and decided not to go forward with it.
15. Milo Ventimiglia and Alexis Bledel dated off screen for three and a half years.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.