1. You believed that crocodile tongues were the most powerful spell there was.
6. You knew that some words were more powerful when said backwards.
9. You tried to convince your parents that it was better if you didn’t shower.
10. Because it didn’t matter what you looked like, as long as somebody loved you.
11. You learnt that it was what’s on the inside that counts.
12. But as you got older, stories like Lamb to the Slaughter taught you that appearances could be deceiving.
13. You learnt to search for the wonderful in your own life.
14. You couldn’t understand why your friends would watch TV when there were books.
15. Reading Roald Dahl, you felt like you were in on the best secret in the world.
16. A book wasn’t just numbers and letters - it was full of friends.
Ailbhe Malone is the UK lifestyle editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
In The News Today
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- Activists celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Million Man March at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. ›
- Elections on Sunday are widely expected to hand Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko a fifth term since 1994. ›