1. Named Christopher Catesby Harington, Kit was born in London in 1986.
He moved to Worcester when he was 11, and has a brother named John.
2. He’s secretly posh.
His ancestors include Sir Richard Harington, the 12th Baronet Harington, Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, and Sir William Molesworth, 6th Baronet.
3. His real name is Christopher, but nobody calls him that.
“I was called Kit from day one, really, I only found out my name was Christopher when I was 11. I went to school, and I remember that you had to do these tests to find out what set you’re in—how clever you are. I put down ‘Kit Harington’ and they looked at me like I was completely stupid, and they said, ‘No, you’re Christopher Harington, I’m afraid.’ It was only then I learnt my actual name. That was kind of a bizarre existential crisis for an 11-year-old to have, but in the end I always stuck with Kit, because I felt that’s who I was. I’m not really a Chris.”
4. He got his big break in theatre.
Harington studied Theatre and Drama Studies at sixth form, and graduated from the Central School Of Speech And Drama in 2008.
5. And was the original lead in War Horse.
He won the role of Albert in the original stage version of War Horse while he was still studying, and played the character until 2009.
6. He turned up to his Game Of Thrones audition with a black eye.
“I don’t remember what happened but it made me look a bit tougher than not having a black eye I guess,” he says. For his third audition, he read a scene from Season Three with Rose Leslie (Ygritte).
7. His foot was in a cast for most of Season 3 of Game Of Thrones.
Harrington shattered his ankle by climbing through a window when he’d lost his house keys. Game Of Thrones costume designer, Michelle Clapton explained: “He had a medical boot that he could take off, but he still couldn’t walk. We cut the back out of his [costume] boot so that he could put it on without having to actually step into it and just bound it to his leg. He managed really well, considering the amount of pain he was in”.
8. The injury meant Kit had a body double for some scenes in Season 3.
Kit found it hard to take. “Even if it was just somebody walking I had a problem not going up to the guy and telling him how to do things differently. You don’t think you create a walk for a character, but you [do].”
10. His ideal first date involves dinner, and wine.
“You don’t want to seem too eager, too romantic - otherwise, it just looks a bit try-hard. But I do think that a first date should be intimate. So I’d choose a nice dinner somewhere cozy, not too crowded, with good wine.”
11. He’s a horror movie buff.
‘I’ve always wanted to do a horror movie. My favourite is The Shining, but I also loved The Ring, the Scream movies and The Wicker Man with Christopher Lee.”
12. He’s a big David Lynch fan.
“I love [David] Lynch as well. I could not get through Inland Empire. I tried to watch that movie three or four times. I can’t get through it. It’s too scary. Starts freaking me out and then when it goes black and white … too much, too much. I’ve never even tried to watch Eraserhead. I think it would be too much for me. I love Mulholland Drive but even that kind of got to me at times.”
13. But he gets frightened by video games.
Despite appearing in Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, Kit isn’t fond of video games. “I’m not good at playing those things. I used to get terrified of Doom, and when I played this, I was pretty terrified of it. I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to computer games.”
14. He can speak a little Icelandic.
Like, a really small amount. “It’s very difficult to say anything in Icelandic. I can say ‘takk’, which means ‘thank you’. That’s about all I learned. They’re all brilliant at speaking English, so it’s one of those problems that you don’t have any trouble communicating.”
15. He modelled his Northern accent on Sean Bean’s.
“I auditioned for Jon Snow in my own accent, and then when we got to filming the pilot, they asked all of Sean Bean’s sons to do Sean’s accent, so we had to go and learn it quickly.”
16. He’s scared of flying.
“Spiders, flying and injections” frighten Kit. “I’m turning into a flying alcoholic, because I can’t deal with it. My dad started taking flying lessons. He’s now got his solo flying thing, and he says, ‘You’ve got to come up in the air,’ and I’m like, ‘Not for s—-!’”
17. Game Of Thrones was the first time he had long hair.
“I always had short hair before I did this, and then they went ‘Could you grow your hair and a beard?’ And I went, ‘Well, I’ve never grown my hair, and I’m practically pre-pubescent in the facial-hair stakes, but I’ll give it a go!”
18. You won’t find him on Twitter.
“I’m not a tweeter, I’m afraid. I have to talk about myself enough in publicity and stuff that I don’t want to do it in my free time as well. Tweet about things, no, no thanks. It’s not for me, I’m afraid…”
19. He’s fine with the nudity in Game Of Thrones.
“I think it’s one of those things … you take off your robe and there you are nude. And there’s a hundred people watching you and after the first 30 seconds, everyone’s seen everything. I’m quite happy to strut around naked after that.”
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.