1. Etsy artist Crafty Curtis painstakingly cross stitches pop lyrics. And they’re amazing.
2. Each piece takes “about 12 hours”, she told BuzzFeed.
“It’s hard to say because I do it in my spare time, I suppose up to 12 hours depending on the length of the lyric and all from designing the pattern to fully framing them up. I have a lead-time on most orders so I can deliver to requirements.”
3. She’s a long-time crafter.
“I’ve been knitting since I was about 8, and then with a vengeance for the last 10ish years. I crochet as well. I started to cross stitch a few years ago – I’m sure I did it as a kid on massive aida (fabric with holes in) but it wasn’t something i’d carried on into adulthood. I’ve mainly knitted things for my nieces and nephew and friends kids before this, it is really my first major project that isn’t just about one off gifts for friends.”
4. Initially, the cross stitching was just a hobby.
“I came up with the idea of stitching my favourite dark lyrics, the juxtaposition of it pleased me, and it was only for personal amusement at this point that is what I did. I like the ones that sit apart from the songs, but those who know, know.”
5. But then the operation spread.
“I started by putting them on my facebook and twitter pages to amuse my friends and family, then I started getting interest so I set up on etsy and last christmas sold in a pop up shop in Bristol.”
6. And the stories behind some of the pieces will melt your heart.
She explained, “I was recently commissioned to make “a million days in your arms is never too much” – Never Too Much by Luther Vandross - by a Twitter friend who’d met their fiancé through an intricate internet friends sort of set up, I’d followed them both on Twitter through their get together and this was one of the first songs that they’d ever interacted over, it was just so perfect, I couldn’t wait for him to open it on Christmas day, I get far too invested in the stories!”
7. Like, super-cute.
She continues, “I sneakily found out the first dance for my friend’s wedding too and stitched a line from that for her in the colours she was using for the wedding – “nothing lasts for ever except you and me” from “Mountains” by Biffy Clyro.”
8. And yes, she takes requests.
“I started off with 3 rules: No stand alone song titles. No songs I consider to be shit. No REM (See second rule)”. But she’s flexible, “basically though, I adore the stories so I’d probably break all of my rules if someone asked.”
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️