1. There was only one cure for an upset stomach. Or a headache. Or a cold.
3. You knew that acting the maggot would result in this.
4. And that if you took a notion, you’d get told to cop on to yourself.
7. You learned that gas wasn’t a fuel, it was an adjective.
8. You knew that a good funeral’s better than a bad wedding.
10. Someone, at some point, has lit a candle for you.
12. The second anyone crossed the threshold of the house, they were offered a bite to eat.
15. If your mum was on the phone, you knew that goodbyes took at least five minutes.
16. You were baffled to find that some people didn’t have any cousins.
17. Leave the house without a jacket? You’ll get a chill in your kidneys.
18. And you’d catch your death of cold if you went to bed with wet hair.
20. And you almost broke your tooth trying to find the money in the Colcannon.
21. It didn’t matter how tenuous the connection was, as long as visitors were in town, they stayed with you.
22. If you wanted a nibble before dinner, you were told that ‘hunger is a good sauce’.
23. And it wasn’t a proper dinner unless it had potatoes in it.
24. But above all your parents were generous.
26. And they had the best sense of humour.
27. And they put their family at the heart of all they did.
28. And still do, every time you see them.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›