1. There was only one cure for an upset stomach. Or a headache. Or a cold.
3. You knew that acting the maggot would result in this.
4. And that if you took a notion, you’d get told to cop on to yourself.
12. The second anyone crossed the threshold of the house, they were offered a bite to eat.
15. If your mum was on the phone, you knew that goodbyes took at least five minutes.
16. You were baffled to find that some people didn’t have any cousins.
17. Leave the house without a jacket? You’ll get a chill in your kidneys.
18. And you’d catch your death of cold if you went to bed with wet hair.
20. And you almost broke your tooth trying to find the money in the Colcannon.
21. It didn’t matter how tenuous the connection was, as long as visitors were in town, they stayed with you.
22. If you wanted a nibble before dinner, you were told that ‘hunger is a good sauce’.
28. And still do, every time you see them.
Ailbhe Malone is the UK lifestyle editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- In 2011, the death of Mark Duggan - an unarmed black man - at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.
- Two people were killed and at least 22 injured after a circus tent collapsed amid stormy weather Monday evening in New Hampshire.