1. Swan Upping is a yearly tradition, where all the swans along the River Thames are rounded up, caught, tagged and then released.
2. As all swans are the property of the Queen, the task of marking the swans falls to the Queen’s Swan Marker. Naturally.
3. The ceremony lasts over five days, and takes place in the third week of July.
Swan Upping, 2008.
Ailbhe Malone is the UK lifestyle editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›