1. On the hottest day of the year so far, tourists rest on the Victoria Memorial to the front of the palace.
2. Palace staff busy themselves preparing for the ongoing Coronation Festival.
3. Rows of empty broadcast gazebos lie in the shade under the trees.
4. And crowd barriers are neatly tucked to one side, awaiting use.
5. A parked police van waits, its officers approached by a trickle of tourists for directions.
6. There’s a flurry of excitement as a police motorbike drives by, followed by an ambulance. “Has she finally had the baby?” a woman shouts.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›