2. Totnes has one of the most successful local currencies in the UK.
The pound is part of transition town Totnes: which is basically a group of people readying us for economic and social meltdown by making everything local. The pound is accepted at 70 outlets in the town - and not just crystal shops.
3. We’ve got a scientific pedigree. Charles Babbage, the Father of the Computer grew up in Teignmouth.
4. Our musical output is excellent too. Muse? They’re from Teignmouth.
7. And they know how good Torquay can look in the sunshine.
14. We know the correct way to eat a cream tea.
Cream on first, obviously.
17. So is our cider.
And our cheese. And our wine.
19. We host the International Worm Charming Festival each year. Which has the best website ever.
- Greece won't pay the International Monetary Fund the $1.8 billion it owes on time, paving the way for a formal default.
- At least 30 people were reported dead after a military plane crashed into two houses in a residential neighborhood in the Indonesian city of Medan.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.