2. Totnes has one of the most successful local currencies in the UK.
The pound is part of transition town Totnes: which is basically a group of people readying us for economic and social meltdown by making everything local. The pound is accepted at 70 outlets in the town - and not just crystal shops.
3. We’ve got a scientific pedigree. Charles Babbage, the Father of the Computer grew up in Teignmouth.
4. Our musical output is excellent too. Muse? They’re from Teignmouth.
7. And they know how good Torquay can look in the sunshine.
14. We know the correct way to eat a cream tea.
Cream on first, obviously.
17. So is our cider.
And our cheese. And our wine.
19. We host the International Worm Charming Festival each year. Which has the best website ever.
- An arrest warrant has been issued for Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina in connection with a corruption case involving the highest levels of the government. ›
- China will cut its military personnel by 300,000, shrinking the forces to 2 million people. President Xi Jinping called it a gesture of peace. ›
- A new study says there are 3 trillion trees on Earth — much more than previously thought. But we're losing them fast 🌳 ›