1. Your birthday might fall right after the holidays, in which case people only get you one present to represent both days.
“Here’s a present for you! It’s for both Christmas and your birthday.” REALLY?!
2. It’s winter, which could mean extreme cold, snow, wind, or rain. Or even a combination of all four of these at once.
Thanks, Mother Nature, you are too kind.
3. There’s the possibility that said weather could keep your friends from celebrating with you.
Dance party for one, please.
4. And even if your friends can celebrate with you, there’s no chance of having a fun beach or outdoor pool party!
Unless you are lucky and already live some place warm. But for those of us who don’t, do you think we can afford a plane ticket to somewhere tropical? Heck no!
5. You’ve had your fair share of winter-themed birthday parties as a kid.
Skiing, snowboarding, sledding, snow tubing, snowshoeing. These can certainly be fun, but just like you, they start to get old after a while. Then you have to resort to indoor activities (which aren’t as fun, to be honest).
6. And if you’re old enough to go out to the bars, that means walking around and waiting outside just to have some fun.
Let’s see, which heels are good for trudging through snow? And what outfit will keep me warm so I don’t have to wear a bulky winter coat?
7. It might still be winter break when your birthday comes around.
Pro: If you’re still in grade school, then you and your friends can celebrate the whole day and night together! Con: If you’re in college, all of your friends might have gone home and won’t be there to celebrate with you, which leads us back up to #3.
8. Or even better, you might have a snow day on your birthday!
Day off from school that wasn’t planned? YES PLEASE. Too much snow for a safe drive to work? Call in sick and give yourself a snow day on YOUR DAY!
9. Or you just might hate everything about winter and wish your birthday was in summer.
Summer birthday people just can’t relate to us, and yet we wish we were one of them.
10. All in all, January is just kind of an awkward time for a birthday.
We’re all getting used to the fact that it’s a new year. Everyone goes through this adjustment period. It just kind of sucks when it happens over your day of birth!
11. But alas, January is your birthday month!! Which means it’s a very special month, at least for you!
You wait all year for this!
13. Don’t let the winter blues stop you from having fun on your birthday!
Enjoy your day, friend!
If Dumbledore and Snape can have fun, you can too!
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Four people working for VICE News who were detained by Turkish authorities on Thursday while covering political clashes with police are set to face terrorism charges. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›