1. Napping is more useful than coffee for getting over your midday slump.
Why spend tons of money on those lattes when you can get a better effect for free?
2. Just anticipating a nap can actually help lower your blood pressure.
Congratulations on your decreased blood pressure, little girl on the beach.
3. Short naps aid in your ability to retain information.
Even as short as six minutes.
4. Most other mammals nap a ton, so you should, too.
85% of mammals sleep multiple times a day. They clearly know what they’re doing.
5. Napping for 20-30 minutes in the afternoon increases your alertness.
A NASA study found that short naps improved performance by 34% and alertness 54% in the pilots and astronauts tested.
6. An hour-long nap aids in cognitive memory processing.
So you’ll be better at remembering faces and retaining facts.
7. Napping helps to boost your creativity.
A 90-minute nap can aid in both creativity and emotional memory.
8. Because when you lie down, you fall asleep much faster than if you try to stay upright.
So don’t even try to stay upright.
9. You don’t even need to nap for a long time to experience the benefits.
A 2008 study from the University of Dusseldorf suggests that even the mere onset of sleep can initiate processes of memory consolidation.
10. When combined with moderate exercise, napping has been shown to improve mental health.
And the exercise will improve your physical health at the same time!
11. These futuristic nap pods are not only awesome, but beneficial to your work environment.
Nap pods like this, as well as entire nap rooms, can be found at companies like Google and Proctor & Gamble.
12. Napping decreases your risk of heart problems.
A 2007 study of Greek adults found that regular napping can help in preventing some cardiovascular disease by as much as 37%.
13. Napping can be traced back to ancient cultures like the Romans AKA if you nap, you’re basically the same as a Roman emperor.
The word “siesta” derives from the Latin “sexta,” a term referring to the sixth hour after dawn in ancient Roman culture.
14. Napping is a beautifully cross-generational phenonmenon.
People tend to nap more as they age, so you get all the great benefits throughout your life!
15. Naps help you recover from stressful situations.
Ignore the anxiety. Nap instead.
16. Influential people from Thomas Edison to Ronald Reagan have been documented as nappers.
Thomas Edison = famous scientist. You + more napping = famous scientist?
17. If you get good enough, there’s an actual Siesta Championship that you can compete in.
AKA you can win money for napping. MONEY. FOR. NAPPING.
18. You don’t have to deal with other people annoying you.
So maybe this one isn’t science, but tbh, it might be the best reason of all.