1. The show is the American version of a Japanese Super Sentai series called Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (Dinosaur Team Beast Ranger).
It’s easiest to see during the combat scenes because it’s footage from an older series.
2. In the original Japanese footage, the Yellow Ranger was male.
This is why the Pink Ranger has a skirt and Yellow doesn’t.
3. Walter Jones had originally been cast as Billy (The Blue Ranger) and David Yost was originally cast as Jason (The Red Ranger).
This could have been our history.
4. Austin St. John (Jason), Walter Jones (Zack), Thuy Trang (Trini) and Jason David Frank (Tommy) were all martial artists before being cast in the show.
Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly) and David Yost (Billy) were gymnasts, so they choreographed their skills into the fight scenes in addition to taking self-defense classes.
5. Jason David Frank was never meant to be a main character.
During his time on the show, he became the most popular the Rangers and when his stint was done, Saban got a massive amount of fan mail begging to bring him back.
6. Richard Steven Horvitz (Alpha 5) is the only actor to appear in all 155 episodes of the series.
Ay ay ay!
8. The unaired pilot of the first episode was pretty different from the series.
Trini was a totally different personality played by a different actress, Zordon’s name was Zoltar, and there was no Juice bar (which also means no Ernie).
9. Allegedly, the pyrotechnics used in Billy’s brain-switching machine occasionally would set both Amy Jo Johnson and David Yost on fire while filming.
(Season 1, Episode 16)
10. There was an alternate ending to the Season 1 finale in case the show was not renewed.
The alternate ending depicted the Rangers sealing Rita and her minions in the Space Dumpster. The season ended up getting picked up for an additional 20 episodes. (Season 1, Episode 40)
11. In the Halloween episode “Trick or Treat”, Skull has the numbers “24601” tattooed on his chest as a throwback to Jean Valjean’s prison number in Les Miserables.
(Season 1, Episode 54)
14. Lord Zedd is Jewish.
When he married Rita Repulsa, he wore a yarmulke and carried out the traditional breaking of a glass while the song “Hava Nagila” was playing. (Season 2, Episode 43)
15. Billy Cranston (The Blue Ranger) was named after Bryan Cranston, who voiced two villians (Snizard and Twinman) in the Power Rangers universe.
HE IS THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
17. Austin St. John became very protective of his private life because he once literally had the clothes ripped off his back by fans when he was out shopping.
Can you blame them? Me-ow.
18. Walter Jones is missing the middle finger on his left hand.
I didn’t even know this until just now…