1. 1. Everybody who was anybody read Heart of Darkness.
2. 2.The Panhard et Levassor was the vehicle of choice.
3. 3. All the cool kids listened to ragtime.
4. 4. It was all about that full length a-line skirt.
5. 5. You couldn’t wait for the next Sherlock Holmes story in Strand Magazine.
6. 6. You wanted to go see the first modern Olympic Games in Athens.
7. 7. Nikolai Tesla started playing around with wireless electricity.
8. 8. No one really liked the Spanish American War all that much.
9. 9. Oscar Wilde began his tempestuous affair with Lord Alfred Douglas
10. 10. Queen Victoria celebrated her Diamond Jubilee.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- A BuzzFeed News investigation lifts the lid on a security scandal that the police and MI5 tried to keep secret.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store.