1. A solar-powered lamp made from simple materials.
2. A natural, fungus-based replacement for toxic home insulation.
What it is: A natural, renewable, and biodegradable insulation material grown from agricultural waste and mushroom mycelium (a naturally produced glue) from the folks at Ecovative Design.
How it will change things: This non-toxic home insulation material has the potential to completely replace the usual petroleum-based plastic foams, which are highly toxic and harmful to the environment.
3. A water-recycling shower that eliminates 90% of water waste and hundreds of dollars from water bills.
4. A bus that helps purify the air we breathe as it moves.
5. A personal airbag for cyclists that protects them from injury — and from a bad hair day.
What it is: The Hövding Airbag for Cyclists is a great new bicycle helmet that you can take with you everywhere, without the bulk of a traditional helmet.
How it will change things: The lightweight airbag is worn around the neck and only employs, much like a car airbag, upon impact. Cyclists can take the foldable helmet with them everywhere, making it more effortless and less cumbersome than the usual hard shell bike helmets.