This is the cover for Joy Division’s classic album, Unknown Pleasures.
It’s a really popular T-shirt design, and is worn by plenty of men and women alike. One comic, Scott Aukerman, focused on the latter gender’s fondness for the T-shirt in a tweet.
In my research, I’ve found the hot girl wearing the Joy Division t-shirt never wants to actually talk about Joy Division.— Scott Aukerman
Scott Aukerman is the co-host of the IFC show Comedy Bang Bang, which is pretty well-regarded for smart, irreverent comedy. He also runs Earwolf, a popular podcast network that serves as a hub for the Los Angeles comedy scene. So some Twitter users were stymied and pissed off about this joke. Many were eager to viciously take down the idea of “OH YOU HAVE BOOBS AND LIKE MUSIC? IMPOSSIBLE!” Turns out, for every Scott Aukerman, there are plenty more people who are willing to call out the problems with jokes like this in ways both serious and hilarious.
1. Moments after the tweet, Aukerman was promptly eviscerated.
This is really insulting. MT @ScottAukerman the hot girl wearing the Joy Division t-shirt never wants to actually talk about Joy Division.— maggie serota
“Hot girls blah blah blah” roughly translates to “my worldview has not matured since adolescence.”— Matt LeMay
3. Others on Twitter explained exactly why his joke was sexist.
If you don’t get why the @ScottAukerman tweet is shitty replace “wearing the Joy Divison shirt” with “reading a science book”.— Daniel Ralston
dear members of the internet who are into women: a really good way to connect with a woman whoâ€™s into music is to treat her like a human— maura johnston
5. But mostly, people just shot back at him with jokes of their own.
got hit on once w/ “wow i never met a girl who likes the velvet undergound” REALLY? DO U KNOW ANY GIRLS. ARE U SURE U KNOW WHAT “GIRL” MEANS— Amber Eeeeeee
Hey @ScottAukerman, can you explain this t-shirt to me? I got it because it sounded like Muppets, lol. http://t.co/vgIYp5g7qD— Evie Nagy
ARE FAKE POST-PUNK GIRLS THE NEW FAKE GEEK GIRLS? OMG!— maggie serota
no one talks to me when i’m wearing a scott aukerman shirt— boxcar
at the same time as that guy can go fuck himself, i really wish more people would talk to me about the jodeci patch on my backpack— lily go hard
11. His response to the criticism? A string of tweets that addressed it without really addressing it at all.
- The UK heads to the polls today, with a race for London mayor, a fight for the Scottish parliament, and council elections across England.
- Australian immigration emailed a British man who died on his honeymoon to say he'd overstayed his visa, his husband said.
- Alberta, Canada, has declared a provincial state of emergency over a massive fire near Fort McMurray. The area is under mandatory evacuation.