1. This is “Summertime.”
Reasons you definitely love it:
- It was written by George Gershwin.
- This version, the most famous one as sung by Billie Holiday, is beyond golden.
- Have you ever made out to it?
- It’s the best season of the year personified.
Anyway, it’s a standard among musicians who want to try their vocal cords at its sweaty sultriness, and while some of their covers are whatever forever, a fair amount are phenomenal.
2. Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
Perhaps the other most famous version of “Summertime” belongs to these two, and for good reason — it’s a goddamn gorgeous song, obviously.
This was released as an exclusive single for the band’s fan club, but really should have made it to a proper LP. This era was also very good for them hair-wise, as you can see.
4. Norah Jones
Because you know that if a jazz standard exists, this woman is going to cover it at some point or another. Doye.
If you’re into Morcheeba’s brand of sexed-up trip-hop, you’ll find this cover works insanely well for those purposes.
7. Booker T and the MGs
As always, let’s bow to Booker T.
8. The Doors
These guys often riffed on the classic in their live shows, usually performing a short version between two other songs.
- Republicans presented Democrats with a spending plan that doesn't include funding for the border wall, stalling a signature Trump campaign promise.
- Fox News anchor Kelly Wright and 12 other current and former employees are suing the network for racial discrimination and harassment.
- Get ready for nonstop live video on Twitter. The platform is aiming to stream sports, news, and entertainment 24/7 📺📲
- And you can now see your Uber rating right in the app 🚙 👀