Uncle Ben’s & Tasty
One Pot Vegetable Biryani
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 centimeter piece ginger, minced
3 tablespoon curry paste of choice
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
½ aubergine, diced
8 small florets cauliflower
6 closed cup white mushrooms, quartered
½ courgette, diced
1 pepper, large dice
400 grams chopped tomatoes
350 milliliters chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon mango chutney
3 tablespoon low-fat Greek yoghurt
3 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
2 packets Uncle Ben's Special Microwave Rice Golden Vegetable
1 onion, sliced and fried
Coriander, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Take a large, high sided hob/oven safe dish and place over a low/medium heat.
3. Add the oil, garlic and ginger. Stirring constantly, gently cook for 5-6 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
4. Next add your curry paste of choice, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes to awaken the herbs and spices within the paste.
5. Add in the cauliflower, sweet potato, aubergine, mushroom, courgette, and peppers. Stir to ensure the vegetables are thoroughly coated with the curry paste.
6. Next add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, black pepper, and mango chutney. Stir well and simmer over a medium heat for 20–25 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and add the yoghurt and coriander, stir well. (It is important that you add the yoghurt whilst the pot is off the heat as the yoghurt may split if added when the curry is simmering or boiling.)
8. Empty curry out into a bowl or pot to free the pot ready for the biryani assembly!
9. Start biryani assembly by sprinkling half a packet of Uncle Ben’s rice over the bottom of the pan followed by a generous ladle of curry.
10. Top the curry with the remaining half packet of rice and a tablespoon of fried onion. Then repeat the previous step until you have used all of the rice and vegetable curry, making sure to finish with a thin layer of rice.
11. Finished with a generous sprinkling of fried onion, top with a lid or tightly cover with tin foil and cook in the oven for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature of the biryani reaches at least 75°C.
12. Serve with a sprinkle of coriander and your favourite indian side dishes!