2. Though People En Español is run by a man who has written a book about being a gay dad, it is giving a platform to two figures who have repeatedly condemned homosexuality as a sin.
4. Here is a video of Verastegui urging voters to “protect marriage” by supporting Prop 8.
Here is a video of Verastegui urging voters to “protect marriage” by supporting Proposition 8.
5. On Tuesday, the magazine announced that the festival will also include Bishop T.D. Jakes, an influential Dallas-based religious leader and author, will speak about his recent book during an event on the first day of the festival Aug. 30.
T.D. Jakes at a speaking event in 2013.
6. In a 2012 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Jakes responded to the charge that he’s anti-gay, but said “sex between two people of the same sex is condemned in the scriptures.”
“The perception in our society today is that if you don’t say you’re for same-sex marriage or if you say that homosexuality is a sin that you’re homophobic and you’re against gay people,” Jakes said in the interview. “That’s not true. I’m not called to give my opinion. I’m called as the pastor to give the scriptural position on it. It doesn’t mean I have to agree with you to love you.”
When Winfrey asked if he believes being gay is a sin, Jakes said that according to the Bible, it is.
“I think that sex between two people of the same sex is condemned in the scriptures and as long as it is condemned in the scriptures, I don’t get to say what I think, I get to say what the Bible says,” Jakes said. He later went on to say, “I’m not anti-gay, i’m not anti-anything.”
8. Correa did not respond to BuzzFeed’s questions on Tuesday.
However, a People en Español spokesperson told BuzzFeed, “All participants in the Festival — featuring over 30 different speakers and performers from diverse backgrounds — are focused on this weekend of empowerment for the Hispanic community.”
(H/T Andrés Duque)
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.