Britain is a nation of boozers, right?
1. And it's true, to an extent. Britain does drink more than the average European nation.
2. But it's far from the whole story. In fact, Britain's alcohol consumption has been dropping for a decade.
3. And the drop-off has been most dramatic among the young. They're less likely to be frequent drinkers.
4. They're less likely to binge-drink.
5. And they're more likely to be teetotal.
6. Of course, "Britain" isn't one place. London is packed with teetotallers…
7. …while people in Scotland and the north of England are much more likely to be binge-drinkers.
8. But in general, we're drinking less than we have for years. And it's not just drink. Drug use is dropping, too.
9. Exactly why all this is happening isn't entirely clear. Part of the reason might be the growing Muslim population.
But for whatever reason, Britain isn't as boozy as it used to be, and today's young people are much better behaved than their parents ever were.
Tom Chivers is a science writer for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Contact Tom Chivers at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.