What you need:
· Metal bowl or pot
· 2.2 pounds (1kg) paraffin wax
· 1/2 cup of stearin (also known as stearic acid)
· Food storage container with a diameter of at least 6 in (15cm)
· Cooking oil spray
· Heat resistant cup to pour wax
· Metal scraper to smooth out edges
· Candle no taller than 1/3 the height of lantern
1. Break up paraffin wax into small pieces and melt slowly on a gas stove. Keep your eye on the wax as it can become dangerous if left alone.
2. Add stearin to the paraffin wax and wait until it is completely transparent. Turn off the heat and allow the wax to cool for 10 minutes
3. Spray a light coating of oil in a food storage container before carefully pouring melted wax inside.
4. Fill to the top and watch wax as it sets. Wait until there is at least a centimeter of solid wax on the sides before using a rod/butter knife to draw around the edges. Pour the excess wax out into a separate bowl (you can melt this down for other candles later).
5. Gently loosen the edges of the container and lift wax lantern out. Using a warm metal utensil, slowly flatten out the top of the lantern to smooth edge.
7. Place a lit candle no taller than 1/3 the height of the lantern inside and enjoy!