35 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai"
Bet you didn't know that THAT Polo Sport tee cost £75, and Shah Rukh Khan hated wearing it.
2. Rani Mukerji was only 19 during shooting for the film.
3. Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol were Karan Johar's first choices to play Rahul and Anjali, respectively. They had promised to be a part of Johar's first film back when he was the assistant director on DDLJ.
4. The girl who played little Anjali, Sana Saeed, refused to use glycerine for the scenes that required crying. So, Johar would be particularly mean to her and make her cry.
6. The saree-flying shot at the end of "Ladki Badi Anjani Hai" started off as a joke between Farah Khan and Johar. Kajol initially thought it was kinda stupid.
8. When he first watched the film, Shah Rukh didn't enjoy the ending because it had too much crying in it.
9. Shah Rukh's iconic Polo Sport t-shirt from "Koi Mil Gaya" cost £75, and Johar and designer Manish Malhotra debated buying it for three hours before eventually picking it up.
10. Sushmita Sen told Shah Rukh that she wanted to take acting seriously after she watched the film.
11. During the bicycle sequence in "Yeh Ladki Hai Deewana", Kajol lost control of her bike, fell flat on her face, and was knocked unconscious, while also injuring her knee.
12. The fall was bad enough for Kajol to temporarily lose her memory. The only person she could remember was her then-boyfriend and now-husband Ajay Devgn.
13. Shah Rukh even convinced Kajol that she was a junior artist during the time she lost her memory.
15. Parzaan Dastur, who played the little Sardar boy on screen, didn't even dub his only line in the movie — "Tussi jaa rahe hai? Tussi na jaao". It was dubbed by another child artist, Kaivalya Chheda.
16. Johar initially had a problem with the line "Main toh hil gaya" in the song "Koi Mil Gaya" because he thought it sounded "downmarket," but he later agreed to it.
17. The art director, Sharmishta Roy, was told to take inspiration for the college sets from TV show Beverly Hills, 90210 and Archie comics.
18. Shah Rukh found the little Sardar boy so cute that when his son Aryan was born and visited the sets, he dressed him up just like him.
20. Kajol actually cried through the climax where Rahul and Anjali finally get together by watching close-ups of Shah Rukh crying in the scene.
21. Even though his clothes became all the rage after the movie's release, Shah Rukh admitted he was embarrassed to wear his costumes in the movie as he felt they were too tight.
24. Malhotra, Farah Khan, choreographer Geeta Kapoor, director Nikhil Advani, and even Johar's mom, Hiroo Johar, are all seen in different shots in the film.
26. The role of Aman was first offered to Saif Ali Khan, but he rejected it. Later, Salman Khan just walked up to KJo at a party thrown by Chunky Pandey and offered to take the role that Saif had rejected.
27. Kajol really didn't want to shoot this adorable laugh from "Ladki Badi Anjani Hai" because she thought it was too dramatic.
28. Johar first wrote a story which was a love triangle between a tomboy, a very pretty girl, and a slightly insensitive boy, but he shelved the idea. He then wrote another plot about a widower and his child, which he rejected as well. Eventually he decided to merge the two stories into one for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
29. Tina's character was originally written with Twinkle Khanna in mind, and was even named after her. After she rejected the role, it was offered to a range of leading actresses, and even to Kajol, before Mukerji was cast.
30. In fact, Aditya Chopra and Shah Rukh suggested Mukerji for the role after watching her in Raja Ki Aayegi Baaraat.
32. The second stanza from "Tujhe Yaad Na Meri Aayee" with the lines "Teri kar di god bharai" never made the final cut. But it was initially used in a baby shower scene for Mukerji in the film.
34. As iconic as it eventually became, Johar admitted that he thought the film was "unusually silly".