1. Myth: Turning up the thermostat heats a room up quicker.
2. Myth: It's better to leave the heating on low all the time, rather than switch it on when you need it.
3. Myth: You need to keep your water heater on all night so you don't run out of hot water.
4. Myth: It's cheaper to heat one room with an electric heater, instead of switching on the heating.
5. Myth: You should turn the heating up when it's cold outside.
6. Myth: Dishwashers use a lot more energy than doing the washing up by hand.
7. Myth: The only way to get an accurate energy bill is through giving regular meter readings.
8. Myth: Solar panels only generate electricity on sunny days.
9. Myth: You can't swap out traditional light-bulb fittings for energy-saving or LED light bulbs.
10. Myth: Most heat from your home is lost through the windows.
11. Myth: Renewable energy is a lot more expensive than nonrenewable energy.
Now that you're a bit more in the know, take control of your energy use with a smart meter that lets you keep track, in pounds and pence, of how much gas and electricity you're using at home.
Every home in Great Britain will be offered a smart meter by their energy supplier by 2020. Go here to find out how to get a smart meter for your home – at no extra cost!