3. BuzzFeed has an exclusive look at the video, which features several LGBT refugees currently residing in South Africa.
5. He soon discovered, like many others, that LGBT asylum seekers often continue to experience harassment and violence inside the country.
This discrimination and violence stems from the same homophobic sentiments from which they originally fled. Often, they are even targets of sexual violence.
13. Atlantic, a limited life foundation, is in the final stages of its grant making and will close its doors completely by 2020.
Martin O’Brien, Senior Vice President for Programmes at Atlantic says: “The most important tool LGBT South Africans have is a voice—a voice to express their concerns, a voice to fight for what they believe in and a voice to help other members of the LGBT community. PASSOP, through its work with Atlantic, is one of many organizations on the ground that help give South Africans that voice. Those groups are reason for real hope and optimism, and we expect this work to grow and continue.”
14. Watch the full video here:
For more background information on Atlantic’s work with LGBT rights, you can look at their case study examining the challenges queer South African youth face.
- Iraqi forces have launched an offensive to take back ISIS-held Fallujah. About 50,000 civilians are trapped in the city.
- Yep. Marco Rubio said he's sorry for implying Donald Trump has a small penis.
- Chad's ex-ruler Hissene Habre has been convicted of crimes against humanity in a groundbreaking trial in Senegal.