2. Rhode Island is the last New England state to allow same-sex marriage.
3. Gov. Lincoln Chafee signed the marriage equality bill into law on May 2, 2013.
4. Officials in Rhode Island began issuing licenses when offices opened at 8:30 a.m. this morning.
5. Among the first to arrive for licenses were John Gacher and Federico Santi of Newport , R.I.. They have been together for over 41 years.
The couple had a simple ceremony, as they told the AP, “After living together for 41 years, we don’t have anything to prove . It’s like going down and getting a driver’s license.”
- Iraq's prime minister has ordered the arrest of anti-government protesters who breached Baghdad's fortified "Green Zone" and occupied the parliament building.
- Daniel J. Berrigan, an American priest and poet famous for leading anti-Vietnam War protests, has died at the age 94.
- U.S. President Barack Obama zinged the media and presidential contenders before dropping the mic at his final White House Correspondents' Dinner 🇺🇸