2. Rhode Island is the last New England state to allow same-sex marriage.
3. Gov. Lincoln Chafee signed the marriage equality bill into law on May 2, 2013.
4. Officials in Rhode Island began issuing licenses when offices opened at 8:30 a.m. this morning.
5. Among the first to arrive for licenses were John Gacher and Federico Santi of Newport , R.I.. They have been together for over 41 years.
The couple had a simple ceremony, as they told the AP, “After living together for 41 years, we don’t have anything to prove . It’s like going down and getting a driver’s license.”
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines, prompting praise from pro-Trump unions.
- Mark Zuckerberg denied rumors that he might run for president, telling BuzzFeed News, "I'm focused on building our community at Facebook."
- Press Secretary Sean Spicer at today's White House briefing defended Trump's claim that millions of people voted illegally—but he cited a debunked study.
- And the 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture are "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," "Hidden Figures," "Hacksaw Ridge," "Manchester by the Sea," "Lion," "Fences," and "Hell or High Water" 🎥 🎬