1. Sierra DeMulder is a two-time National Poetry Slam champion.
She has spent the past five years energizing audiences at colleges and poetry events across the nation. According to her personal website her work aims at weaving “complex issues of identity and gender with the honesty of heartbreak.”
2. In March she performed at the Women of the World Poetry competition:
Tonight I get to share final stage of @WOWps2013 with twelve of the most inspiring, talented women of poetry. I’m a lucky girl.— Sierra DeMulder
3. In the one-minute round she perfomed this piece slamming Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.):
4. Full poem:
Your husband owns a clinic that offers to cure homosexuality for up to $10,000 a year. So when you, Representative Bachmann, refused to acknowledge the bullying of gay students in your district, this must have been strictly business.
When another gay teenager commits suicide in Minnesota, you consider this free advertising. You buy a new necklace for every hanging, a bottle of Merlot for each overdose, your husband sends ‘thank you’ cards to their funeral, hand-signed, all referrals welcomed.
How could we expect you to take a stand against bullying when it helps pay for your mortgage, when it puts food in your children’s belly? One day, your youngest daughter will ask you why her school supplies feel like they belong to someone else, her pencils write names that are not hers, Samantha, Nick, Aaron, Kevin. Tell her the truth Michele, that blood money is not a metaphor, that your wallet is heavy with those who have untied themselves. Tell your daughter that God is the bully with the biggest fist and you can only hope that he is on your side!
5. Sierra did not end up placing in the competition, but her poem has spread quickly since that performance:
I <3 this: Poet blasts Michele Bachmann and her gay “cure” clinic with incredible one-minute poem http://t.co/rvbJkQkDT5— noah michelson
This country has a future… and it looks bright. Sierra DeMulder, Poet, Slams Michele Bachmann And Gay ‘Cure’ Clinic http://t.co/dpjMD70beR— â˜ Alon Bar â˜
I love her. http://t.co/EeujindwXH #spokenword #SierraDeMulder #breathtaking— Molly Brierley
- It's inauguration day: Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States around 12pm ET 🇺🇸
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌