1. On April 15, police paraded a convicted criminal through the city of Marivan dressed in traditional Kurdish women’s clothing.
Saman Rasoulpour told Gay Star News, “‘This is the first time in Iran that an accused is paraded in women’s clothes in the streets to humiliate him. It is unprecedented anywhere in Iran.”
2. The campaign “Kurd Men for Equality” launched on Facebook in protest of this punishment.
In response to the judge’s sentence, a local feminist organization, the “Marivan Womens’ Community”, held a protest. One hundred women took to the streets of Marivan in a campaign for gender equality. In solidarity with the women’s protest, men began to post photos of themselves in women’s clothing.
H/T: Gay Star News
- Refugee families are being torn apart by British bureaucracy. Processing delays and bureaucratic barriers are separating families by thousands of miles.
- Seventeen people died in a fire at a makeshift nursing home near Ukraine's capital Kiev on Sunday.
- At least four people died and 49 others were injured in shootings during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.