4. When the video exploded online, among the viewers was one former high school classmate of Lucas’s.
5. This particular classmate, who had bullied Lucas in school, sent him a message on Facebook to apologize.
I’m sure you have no idea who I am. I went to high school with you. If you do remember me, it’s probably not positive as I was a bit of a asshole back then. I saw your video today on Facebook and wanted to say Congratulations! No need to respond I just wanted you to know that I think what you have is awesome and wish you the best.
7. Lucas said the message threw him into total shock:
I gasped when I saw the name. Then tears. Before even reading the words I just knew that this was going to be a good note, and when I read the words and his follow-up response, I sobbed. That sounds dramatic but it’s true. A good cry on-and-off for upwards of an hour.
9. In high school, Lucas was beat up on more than one occasion.
Well I don’t want to play the victim too much because I know there were and are lots of kids that have it way worse than I did, I was well-liked for the most part but I got my fair share of name-calling, aggression, and was beat up more than once. The worst of it was really just being shut out of groups that I really wanted to accept my friendship.
10. He explained that being beat up in high school pushed him in college to be “the best at everything.”
I was president or leader of almost every club or group at one point or another, including my Freshman class, and National Honor Society. I starred in the plays and was a champion public speaker. I was the leader of the marching band, a trumpet soloist, and I had excellent grades. I even got to speak at graduation. Laughter was my greatest weapon. I’ve always been funny and I knew at an early age that it’s hard not to like someone who has you in stitches.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷