1. Forty-nine-year-old Geoff McGrath, leader of Troop 98 in Seattle’s Rainier Beach, is reportedly the first gay troop leader to be removed from the Boy Scouts of America.
The Boy Scouts’ National Council voted last year to allow gay youth to participate as of Jan. 1, but not gay adults.
3. The BSA claimed McGrath “deliberately injected” his sexuality into the organization by speaking to NBC.
4. Sharon Moulds, a member of the Seattle BSA Council, claimed she only was made aware of McGrath’s sexual orientation when NBC News contacted her.
It was then that we became aware of his intentions to make a public statement about his orientation and use our program as a means to further a personal agenda.
5. McGrath, who has been with his husband for 20 years, claimed he never hid his sexual orientation from Scouting leaders when applying for the leadership position.
Rainier Beach United Methodist Church was the troop’s charter partner and Rev. Monica Corsaro insisted McGrath serve as Scoutmaster for the inclusive troop.
6. It is BSA policy not to inquire about sexual orientation during the application for a leadership position. Spokesman Deron Smith said in an email to NBC:
Our policy is that we do not ask people about their sexual orientation, and it’s not an issue until they deliberately inject it into Scouting in an inappropriate fashion […] We spoke with Mr. McGrath today and based on the information he provided, the National Council has revoked his registration.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good🛀