2. Artistic director EA Bukanova paired Anastasia Ivanova’s images with text from Kate Bond’s interviews with the subjects.
3. Katerina, 20 and Zhanna, 25
“Eventually, our plan is to leave the country and move to Europe. That way, we can live our lives to the fullest and stop hiding away.”
4. Victoria, 24 and Dasha, 27
“Outside, we always hold hands and kiss each other on the cheek. Sometimes you’ll catch a look and once we had a bad experience, when somebody threw a stone while we were walking through the park hand-in-hand.”
5. Irina, 27 and Antonina, 31
“In the future, all we want is to keep our little family together. Maybe if we’re lucky one day we’ll have a child.”
6. Kate, 29 and Nina, 32
“Tragedy brought us together. Kate was celebrating her friend’s birthday on a boat when it collided with another. Nine of the 16 people on board were killed, but Kate survived, and Nina was among those who arrived on the scene. It took us five months to realise we were in love and wanted to be together.”
8. View the entire photography series here.
- It's inauguration day: Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States around 12pm ET 🇺🇸
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌