1. Kaitlyn Hunt, the 18-year-old Florida cheerleader charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery on a minor, her 15-year-old high school girlfriend, rejected a plea bargain today.
If convicted, Hunt faces up to 15 years in prison and would have to register as a sex offender.
2. At the press conference concerning her case, she was overwhelmed with emotion and unable to speak:
When later asked how she was doing, Kaitlyn responded, “Everyday is different. Some days i’m my happy self, and some days i’m overwhelmed, other days i’m scared… so it’s just kinda like I have my days.”
In response to accusations that the family is seeking special treatment because kaitlyn was in a same-sex relationship, Kaitlyn’s lawyer, Charles Sullivan, emphasizes, “The gender, sexual orientation, of the parties has absolutely nothing to do with the prosecution.”
If the family had accepted the plea deal, Kaitlyn would still have been considered a convicted felon and had to have attended sex offender counseling.
4. Kaitlyn said on Today, “I’m definitely hoping for a better plea deal. If not, we will just have to do everything we can to win the fight.”
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 29.
- Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight" 🙊
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝