1. What do you think of when you hear the term “butch”?
4. Creator Kanithea Powell spoke to BuzzFeed about the inspiration behind the project.
I really wanted to create something that moved people to conversation. When you envision what “Butch” means, most people think about their 3rd grade P.E. teacher. I wanted to challenge that and get people thinking beyond their comfort zone and encouraged them to step out of the box they have become so comfortable existing in. I had been sitting with the idea of creating the book for a while and decided in April that it was time to create.
I contacted a few friends and by the end of the day I had a crew. We cast the models on a Saturday and had the shoot two weeks later. We shot 17 models over the course of 2 days. Crazy, but it was an awesome accomplishment. After writing, sorting through over 3000 pictures and a month of edits, the book was ready for print.
There is something to be said about having and idea and seeing it come to life. Holding my book in my hands for the first time was the best feeling I have ever felt. I hope that the people who experience “Butch” feel the same joy and excitement for what I have created.
9. Buy the Butch book here.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- President Barack Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good 🛀