1. Josephine D’Angelo, who passed away on August 18th at the age of 88, was a left fielder in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
8. Supporting herself and saving money for college, playing baseball served as a kind of escape for D’Angelo.
Susan K. Cahn, a history professor at the State University of New York-Buffalo, wrote that sports helped her “forge private social networks with women she described as ‘people of a kind.”
9. The league followed strict rules when it came to the types of women allowed to play, and what clothing they wore while playing.
10. D’Angelo followed the rules, dressed in feminine clothing, and purposefully stayed away from the “gay crowd.”
11. The League’s Rules Of Conduct read:
- ALWAYS appear in feminine attire when not actively engaged in practice or playing ball. This regulation continues through the playoffs for all, even though your team is not participating. AT NO TIME MAY A PLAYER APPEAR IN THE STANDS IN HER UNIFORM, OR WEAR SLACKS OR SHORTS IN PUBLIC.
- Boyish bobs are not permissible and in general your hair should be well groomed at all times with longer hair preferable to short hair cuts. Lipstick should always be on.
13. Her career was ended prematurely due to her choice of hairstyle:
But it all came to a halt at the end of her second season, when a team official “approached her in the hotel lobby and told her she had been released. The reason? D’Angelo had gotten a severe, or, in her own words, ‘butchy’ haircut,” Cahn wrote. Ironically, she didn’t really want her hair cut short. The hairdresser convinced her she would look good with a bob.
14. Ms. D’Angelo had a tip for girl players? “Play with boy players early in life.”
15. Those who came to pay their respects at the funeral services received a unique prayer card. Instead of a picture of a saint, it featured a photo from “JoJo’s” playing days that made it resemble a baseball card.
- Donald Trump signed a sweeping executive order that dismantles many Obama era climate change regulations.
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- The Scottish parliament has voted for an independence referendum that could result in Scotland leaving the UK.
- Facebook will start globally rolling out three features today on iOS and Android that strongly resemble Snapchat. They're called Camera, Direct, and Stories.