1. As a freshman at Stanford she was outed by the college newspaper in a published interview… before she could tell her parents.
“I did an interview with the student newspaper about being one of the only two gay freshmen on campus. The mistake I made was that I had not come out to my parents.”- Rachel Maddow
6. Not everyone knows what she looks like:
On the game show Jeopardy, the contestants were prompted with, “This cable TV newswoman received a doctorate in politics from Oxford”, and none of the contestants could identify her even when a picture was displayed.
7. She is a very knowledgeable bartender.
“I love most rye, but if I had to pick a desert-island one, I would probably pick Michter’s. There’s a great one called ‘Pikesville’, too, but it’s really hard to find. I wouldn’t kick Sazerac 6 or Rittenhouse out of bed for eating crackers, though.” - Reddit AMA
15. She doesn’t consider herself an “Anchorbabe”.
Happy Birthday Rachel!
- More than 700 refugees and migrants are feared dead following three shipwrecks in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Dozens were arrested at a Trump rally in San Diego as protesters clashed with supporters. Trump thanked police for "handling the thugs."
- The World Health Organization has dismissed calls to postpone or cancel this summer's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro because of the Zika virus.