1. A 13-year-old Kansas student, Skyler Davis, was suspended from school on Wednesday, reportedly because he was wearing a Vera Bradley purse.
A student at Anderson County Senior-Junior School in Garnett, Kansas, Skyler had been wearing the bag for months before one school official asked him to remove it.
2. When the eighth-grader refused to remove it, he was sent to Assistant Principal Don Hillard’s office.
“I went to the office and I refused to take it off, and they suspended me,” the teen claims.
5. Skyler’s mother claims there is no mention of purses in the student handbook.
“We strive to make sure we treat every kid alike and there are classroom rules we expect kids to follow. They can bring [bags and purses] to school. There’s no policy against that. But the classroom rules are that they can’t bring it to the classroom.” Hillard said Thursday.
6. As an act of support, two stores that sell Vera Bradley purses have offered products to Skyler. The Vera Bradley company released the following statement:
“Vera Bradley creates products that allow all of us to express our individual style. We encourage self-expression through color and design.”
7. The school district has since mailed Willis a formal notification of the disciplinary action.
Willis said she was told that the suspension wouldn’t be lifted until Skyler stops wearing the purse — which he says he will not do.
BuzzFeed could not reach the school for comment.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭