Last night, men’s lifestyle magazine GQ held its annual awards ceremony, at which former prime minister Tony Blair was named Philanthropist of the Year. He posed for it like an extra in a James Bond film, naturally.
Philanthropist Of The Year goes to Tony Blair: http://t.co/7Pq06sqFkb #GQAwards
— British GQ (@BritishGQ)
1. And some people were pretty confused.
had this really weird dream last night that tony blair won 'philanthropist of the year'
— Ryan (@ryanfarrr)
2. OK, a lot of people were confused.
Tony Blair has won GQ's Philanthropist of the Year.
Stop the world, I want to get off.
— Dean Maurice (@deanmbyg)
3. Like, a lot.
Apparently tony Blair has just won #GQAwards philanthropist of the year. I have no words. Beyond parody.
— Sophie H (@sophable)
4. Even those in the room when Blair was named the winner were in shock.
Tony Blair just won philanthropist of the year at the #GQAwards No boos but a muted response it's fair to say!
— Dan Wootton (@danwootton)
5. Others thought it was pretty funny and couldn’t quite figure out if a massive practical joke was being played.
Tony Blair... philanthropist of the year... lmaoooooooooooooo
— not foxy™ (@rathvogart)
6. That included the likes of former England football legend Gary Lineker.
Apparently, Tony Blair has won GQ's philanthropist of the year award. Finally these awards have grasped irony!
— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker)
7. But a lot of people were just very angry.
HOW THE FUCK DID TONY BLAIR GET GQ'S PHILANTHROPIST OF THE YEAR?! I am done. So done.
— Victoria Collard (@ToriaCollard)
8. Some threatened to cancel their subscription to the magazine.
@BritishGQ Blair- Philanthropist of the Year? In what Universe..? You've made a mockery of your magazine. My subscription won't be renewed.
— Tom Higgins (@sniggiht)
9. And a whole bunch of bunch made the same joke about whether it’s April Fools’ Day.
But it's not April 1st? This can't be real...Blair? PHILANTHROPIST???
That's a big misspelling of warmongering cunt
— Barry Convex (@BarryConvex)
10. Lol good one.
GQ awards Tony Blair Philanthropist of the Year. Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st
— David Robotham (@DavidRobotham)
I checked, it's not April 1st. #TonyBlair is still at large, still Middle East Peace Envoy & NOW Philanthropist of the Year. This is pants.
— Shaun Turner (@LOFer)
12. You are hilarious, sir.
Tony Bliar voted GQ Philanthropist of the Year! Is it April 1st already?
— John Powell (@flyingace1066)
13. This is maybe the funniest joke I’ve ever heard.
Guys its not April the 1st... RT @BritishGQ Philanthropist Of The Year goes to Tony Blair: http://t.co/PePzZPDn7c #GQAwards
— Callum Fairhurst (@blackpigsweets)
14. OK, I’m done. Stop.
Tony Blair wins Philanthropist of the Year award for his “tireless charitable work” http://t.co/9X1V6u2MW5 (Reuters)
— Bob Hudson (@Bob__Hudson)
15. Some questioned whether the magazine understood the definition of philanthropy.
Definition of 'philanthrophy' reversed as '#tonyblair named 'Philanthropist of the Year' at #GQAwards: http://t.co/c6DvckX8iS
— Rhiannon Redpath (@red_cycle)
16. Or whether it was just an ingenius ploy by the magazine to troll the world.
Tony Blair won Philanthropist of The Year in the GQ awards, in a shameless move no doubt engendered to generate tweets like this
— Daniel Dawkins (@DanDawkins)
17. And, oh yes, there were a lot of sassy replies.
So pleased for Tony Blair winning Philanthropist of the Year last night at the GQ awards *side glance to camera*
— Verso Books (@VersoBooks)
18. Some pointed out that the event took place as the world looked on in horror at events unfolding in the Middle East.
As the Middle East Peace Envoy accepts his award of Philanthropist of the Year, ISIS behead an American Journalist in Syria... good job Tony
— Rebecca Sword (@rebeccasword)
19. And one person gave a moment of silence for Gordon Brown, who replaced Blair in Downing Street and is well known for his charitable work.
Cruelly overlooked for GQ philanthropist of the year, ever in Blair's shadow: @OfficeGSBrown