กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์
Thailand’s capital Bangkok boasts the rather unwieldy official ceremonial name Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit. Long, but lots of words right? Here are the longest single word place names.
5. Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein is a farm in the North West province of South Africa with a 44 letter place name.
The name is Afrikaans for “The spring where two buffaloes were cleanly killed with a single shot”. The literal translation is “Twee buffels” = “Two buffaloes”, “met een skoot” = “with one shot”; “morsdood” = “stone dead”; “geskiet” = “shot”; “fontein” = “spring” or “fountain”.
3. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch boasts the UK’s longest place name, with 58 letters.
The name means: St. Mary’s Church (Llanfair) in the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) at the church of St. Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave (gogo goch).
2. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the 85 letter Māori name for a hill, 305 metres high, overlooking Hawke Bay, New Zealand.
The name translates roughly as “The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one”.
An earlier version of this post did not properly cite the source of the Cree definition of the longest place name in Canada.
- Miami Marlins star pitcher José Fernández has died in a boating accident. He was 24.
- Monday night's presidential debate may be the last hope for environmental activists who want climate in the national conversation.
- Charlotte police have released video of Keith Lamont Scott's shooting and photos of a gun they say he had loaded.