17 Fitness Tips That Will Actually Make You Psyched To Work Out
Insightful fitness gems from people who do this for a living.
1. Stop doing so much cardio.
2. Step off the scale.
3. Be harder on your body but easier on your self-image.
4. Start doing anything. Just make sure you like it.
5. Fall in love with exercise that changes your mood and your life, not just your body.
6. Whatever you're doing for exercise, Switch. It. Up.
7. Get massages regularly.
8. Make sure your workouts actually make you work.
9. Set small, attainable goals you can reach along the way.
10. But have one goal that kind of terrifies you.
11. Try something new and own being a beginner.
12. Take #beastmode down a notch.
13. Take rest and recovery seriously.
14. Know that if something sounds too good to be true it definitely is.
"Any program, book, article, or trainer who promises results in X number of days (the smaller the number, the more skeptical you should be)' should raise any number of red flags. If someone is going to promise you you'll lose two dress sizes in a week or add 10 pounds of muscle mass in 10 days, they might as well say something equally as unrealistic as 'and we'll all be driving magical unicorns to work tomorrow!'"
Is it possible to shrink two dress sizes in a week? Sure. But there's no shot it will last long-term; and any protocol or modality it took to achieve that is nothing more than a Band-Aid fix. Real results will only manifest once someone changes their habits."
—Tony Gentilcore, C.S.C.S., co-founder Cressey Sports Performance
15. Don't just go through the motions; actually learn about what you're doing for diet and exercise.
16. Pratice mindfulness.
17. Stop beating yourself up.
"Focus on what you DID do and then keep going. Spending any time with negative self-banter is counterproductive and a huge waste of time and energy."
—Bethany Lyons, co-founder of Lyons Den Power Yoga