11 Facts About "Red Sparrow" That Will Absolutely Blow Your Mind
OMG IT'S ALL REAL!
1. Red Sparrow is based on a book of the same name...
2. ...and the book is part of a trilogy.
3. Most of the characters, institutions, and scenarios in the book are based on real people, places, and events!
4. "Honeypot" school was a real part of Soviet intelligence training. They taught young Russian women the art of entrapment, seduction, and blackmailing intelligence targets.
5. The film's director, Francis Lawrence, has worked with J. Law previously...
6. ...and he had J. Law in mind to play Dominika before they even began writing the script.
7. J. Law was immediately drawn to the power of her character, Dominika.
8. Joel Edgerton was also Francis Lawrence's first choice to play Nate Nash, the CIA operative in the film.
9. Edgerton was drawn to the film's more cerebral approach to the spy genre.
10. The movie was filmed on location in Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, and London.
11. And to ensure that her ballet performance in the film looked authentic, J. Law took three hours of ballet lessons every day for three months prior to filming!
Facts and images from 20th Century Fox