Burano is Italy’s technicolor town, located in the same lagoon as Venice. According to When On Earth, fishermen decided to paint their houses with bright colors so that they would be easily distinguishable through the thick fog. Today, residents can’t paint their houses just any shade — if they want to repaint, they have to send a letter to the government, and officials will reply with a list of acceptable colors.
2. The village of Oia in Santorini, Greece
3. Colmar, France
Colmar is like the “disney princess of towns,” complete with “tiny boats adrift in flowery canals, a miniature train chugging whimsically around town–even a nightly light show that happens every single day of the year.” Situated along the Alsatian wine route in northeastern France, Colmar considers itself the “capital of Alsatian wine.” The popular tourist destination boasts eight centuries’ worth of Germanic and French architecture.
5. Savannah, Ga.
Somehow the producers of The Smurfs movie managed an epic, unending publicity stunt: They convinced 250 locals from the town of Juzcar, in Southern Spain, to let them paint their entire town blue. And to this day, so it stays.
8. Český Krumlov, Czech Republic
The town of Cesky Krumlov, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, has been around since the 13th century, with the town’s castle the second largest in the whole Czech Republic. The Gothic castle of the Lords of Krumlov has 40 buildings and palaces, gardens, and turrets and is now used as a major location for performing arts.
13. Eze in the French Riviera
14. Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
15. Key West, Fla.
The place that Ernest Hemingway once called home, Key West’s colorful homes and tropical weather make this a hot destination spot at the very bottom of the country (you can’t get more south while staying in the U.S.). Go dolphin spotting or tour the aforementioned author’s house, where the descendants of his six-toed cats still roam.
16. Shirakawa, Japan
18. Split, Croatia
- Donald Trump is the last Republican standing. Ohio Gov. John Kasich has ended his presidential run 🇺🇸
- Spelman and Morehouse — elite, historically black U.S. colleges — have again been forced to address sexual violence after an alleged gang rape.
- Alberta, Canada, has declared a provincial state of emergency over a massive fire near Fort McMurray. The area is under mandatory evacuation.