2. Their music is extremely upbeat and fun – think Blondie, The New Pornographers, Weezer, Rilo Kiley, Los Campesinos, The Joy Formidable, Ra Ra Riot, Be Your Own Pet, The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, stuff like that.
The band, led by guitarist and singer Matt Roi Berger and vocalist Morgan Lynch, have been writing and recording songs since 2010, but they self-released their debut album Modern Dances earlier this year with funding from a Kickstarter campaign. It is one of the catchiest, most addictive rock albums to come out all year.
4. The best place to start with them is “Summer Skin,” the first track and first video from the album.
It’s a gleeful joyride of a song that grabs you in the first few seconds, and then zooms off at top speed. It’s amazing, but it’s only just the beginning of an album that is packed with extremely energetic, ridiculously hooky songs.
6. The band also made a video for “New Age,” which is basically a big ballad played at a very fast pace with new wave keyboards.
8. If you love the record, go run around and tell everyone you know. They’re a small band doing everything entirely on their own, and need your help getting the word out.
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres has died at 93. He was the country's longest-serving politician and statesman.
- Monday night's first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton was a horse show for undecided voters.
- Serena Williams posted a powerful note on her Facebook page Tuesday, saying she won't be silent about police killings of black men.