1. The Pixies announced this morning that original bassist and singer Kim Deal has quit the band.
3. It’s unclear whether or not The Pixies will carry on without Kim. The band has only ever existed in its original four-member lineup, and they’ve only been together to play sporadic reunion tours since reforming in 2004.
4. It’s hard to imagine why anyone would want to hear a version of The Pixies that didn’t include Kim Deal. Her distinctive bass style and backing vocals are crucial to the band’s sound.
5. And Kim sings lead on “Gigantic,” one of their most famous songs.
8. Kim Deal has been pretty busy lately with her other band, The Breeders. Their most popular album, Last Splash, was recently reissued, and they’ve been playing that entire album on tour around the world.
- Since Britain's vote to leave the EU, a series of xenophobic attacks against minority groups in public and online has stunned the country.
- At least 41 people died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸