1. GEMS are a duo from Washington, D.C. who have been making some extraordinarily gorgeous and sexy music over the past year.
That’s lead singer and multi-instrumentalist Lindsay Pitts on the left, and multi-instrumentalist and occasional singer Clifford John Usher on the right.
2. The best place to start with their music is the title track from their debut EP, Medusa.
It’s going to be available in most online stores on Nov. 12th.
3. It’s one of the most romantic pop songs of the year. It’s all foggy atmosphere, lovely melodies, and a vocal performance by Pitts that effortlessly hits some beautiful soaring high notes.
4. Their song “Sinking Stone” is another jaw-dropper, and will be instantly appealing if you’re a big fan of Massive Attack’s Mezzanine or Goldfrapp in their ultra-glamorous Black Cherry/Supernature phase.
5. It’s amazing to hear a band come out and sound so fully-formed right away. Here’s one of the first songs they uploaded to SoundCloud. It’s all right there from the start.
6. The band’s visual style is just as striking as the sound of their music. Here’s Pitts explaining why this is so important to them in a recent interview:
In this day and age it’s impossible to separate visuals from the music. Music has always been the most important thing to me, but I recognize that most people are probably going to come across GEMS first on the Internet. I want them to experience it in a particular way. Black and white adds glamour. I want to cast a spell.
8. Their video for the song “Pegasus” is so beautiful and stylish that you never notice that it was made on a small budget.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏