These are the genius contraptions called spin pins, and they purportedly "do the work of 20 bobby pins."
They're especially great for getting those perfect ballerina buns, even with the thickest or thinnest of hair.
Here are some spin pin hairstyles that are a little bit more lively than the ballerina bun:
1. Nestle those buns together to create something interesting.
2. Add a flower.
3. Keep it loose and messy with dangling tendrils.
4. Wrap that bun with fancy twists.
5. Sleep with 'em in to get effortless beachy waves.
6. Get an extra-voluminous bun with a Bump-It and a spin pin.
7. Incorporate a side braid with your bun.
8. A low side chignon is romantic enough for an evening event.
9. This braided updo is deceptively easy.
Refinery29 has the full directions.
10. Update the French twist by creating a tucked-in beehive.
11. Make it a rope braid bun.
12. Use a spin pin to hold this princess hairstyle in place.
13. Weave in waterfall braids.
14. A loose double-knotted ponytail will hold way better with spin pins.
15. Roll in the sides for a more romantic look.
16. Divide the bottom half of your hair and wrap it around your spin-pinned bun.
17. You can also create pompadours with spin pins.
18. Create an interesting ponytail by letting some hair fall out of the bun.
19. Bejewel your spin pins.
Get the DIY here.
20. Make a pretzel bun.
21. Fake a haircut.
Spin pins are truly magical. Get the directions here.