1. You can register ANYTHING with SimpleRegistry.com.
Don’t need another blender? Would you rather have a vintage camera or an out-of-print Beastie Boys 7” instead? Use SimpleRegistry.com and you can register anything and everything all in one place, including obscure eBay and Etsy items or experiential things like guitar lessons. MyRegistry.com also does a similar thing, so you can choose which interface you’d prefer.
2. You can also use it to crowdsource gifts.
Like a new car.
3. Ask your guests to buy activities on your honeymoon, via HoneyFund.com.
With HoneyFund.com or Wanderable.com, you can register things like a dinner out, a night of hotel, or surf lessons to enjoy during the honeymoon (and you can fill out your own descriptions and get all cute and specific about it). Your friends and family feel like they’re gifting you a meaningful experience rather than just a gravy boat (even though they are essentially just giving you cash).
4. Instead of having a registry, ask each guest to gift you a book, album, or movie that is meaningful to them.
This probably only works if you have friends with similarly impeccable tastes. But it’s a great way to build up a library of books or a burgeoning vinyl collection.
6. Similarly, you could ask people to contribute to your future child’s college fund.
If you’re the type that really likes to plan ahead.
Some other fun pieces of advice before you start running around Macy’s with a scanner:
- Include things that are in the $20-$50 price range.
- Don’t get high-end cookware if you don’t cook.
- Read the reviews before you put something on your registry.
- Consider making your wedding gift-optional if people have to spend money to travel from afar.
- Keep it diverse. Some people prefer to give certain kinds of gifts.
- Consider return policies. Macy’s, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond have more lenient return policies, while Target and Crate and Barrel have tougher ones.
- If you live in an urban area, chances are, you don’t have a ton of space to put all of your crap. Consider an alternative registry idea, or ask for stuff you can consume, like a wine subscription.
- Your tastes will change so go classic. Goodbye, cute ikat teapot. :(
- Put some quirky things on your registry. Someone will buy you that weird board game or funny Zazzle t-shirt and feel great about it.
- Italy is today observing a national day of mourning for the victims of Wednesday's earthquake. The death toll has climbed to 284.
- Donald Trump's campaign chief Stephen Bannon said "he doesn't like Jews," according to his ex-wife.