1. Write a letter to your significant other the night before.
Seal the letters and put them in a box with a bottle of wine. Open the box on your first anniversary to remember that amazing day (and to polish off that bottle).
2. Slip a coin in your shoe for good luck.
Although the silver sixpence coin has been out of production for quite some time, modern-day brides can continue this Victorian tradition with a penny or sixpence lookalike to ensure a prosperous marriage.
3. And tuck a sugar cube into your glove.
4. Plant a pine tree the day before your wedding outside your home.
This will signify a beautiful new beginning for you and your spouse.
5. Affix ribbon with a ring attached to your cake — whoever gets it is bound to be married next!
It's like catching the bouquet, but way tastier.
6. And definitely freeze a slice of your wedding cake to have on your one-year anniversary.
Or one-month anniversary, because let's be honest, it'll just look too good not to eat ASAP.
7. Ask your grandmother for her favorite secret beauty tip to incorporate the day of the wedding.
That way you bring her beauty and grace into your marriage.
8. Create a wedding arch out of things found from your childhood backyard.
Super cute, nostalgic, and inexpensive!
9. Have your father hand a sword over to the groom to welcome him into your family.
This signifies a sort of passing of the torch in a very sweet (and insanely cool) way.
10. Carry a family heirloom down the aisle to give to the next generation of women in your family.
Keeping a treasured object in the family creates a strong historical bond. If yours doesn't already have one, now's the time to start!